We can start by asking a few questions to DCENR, Clare Co.Co and Enegi Oil:
- Will sampling of ground water be independently carried out, and made publicly available, prior to exploration ?
- REASON : In the event of exploration going ahead it will be necessary to monitor any changes to ground water quality. In order to prove whether contamination is related to exploration a baseline is required.
- REASON : When people start hearing that benzene is being pumped into the ground , its understandable they get a little tetchy.
- REASON : This also tells us the quantity of chemicals that gets pumped into the ground.
- REASON : Does this present a risk locally, or is the liquid shipped for storage/treatment elsewhere ? How much of the non-water components can be recovered ?
- REASON : If the public is being sold this as a planet-saving action then what does the dept./company make of the paper ?
- REASON : Does the dept./company accept the paper and what actions would they propose to mitigate this ?
That’s 7 pretty simple questions.